First time at Proteopedia? Click on the green links: they change the 3D image. Click and drag the molecules. Proteopedia is a 3D, interactive encyclopedia of proteins, RNA, DNA and other molecules. With a free user account, you can edit pages in Proteopedia. Visit the Main Page to learn more.
|2hcd, resolution 2.60Å ()|
|Related:||1db1, 2hbh, 2hc4|
Crystal structure of the ligand binding domain of the Vitamin D nuclear receptor in complex with Gemini and a coactivator peptide
The crystal structure of the ligand binding domain (LBD) of the wild-type Vitamin D receptor (VDR) of zebrafish bound to Gemini, a synthetic agonist ligand with two identical side chains branching at carbon 20 reveals a ligand-dependent structural rearrangement of the ligand binding pocket (LBP). The rotation of a Leu side chain opens the access to a channel that can accommodate the second side chain of the ligand. The 25% increase of the LBP's volume does not alter the essential agonist features of VDR. The possibility to adapt the LBP to novel ligands with different chemistry and/or structure opens new perspectives in the design of more specifically targeted ligands.
Adaptability of the Vitamin D nuclear receptor to the synthetic ligand Gemini: remodelling the LBP with one side chain rotation., Ciesielski F, Rochel N, Moras D, J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007 Mar;103(3-5):235-42. Epub 2007 Jan 10. PMID:17218092
From MEDLINE®/PubMed®, a database of the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
[NCOA1_HUMAN] Note=A chromosomal aberration involving NCOA1 is a cause of rhabdomyosarcoma. Translocation t(2;2)(q35;p23) with PAX3 generates the NCOA1-PAX3 oncogene consisting of the N-terminus part of PAX3 and the C-terminus part of NCOA1. The fusion protein acts as a transcriptional activator. Rhabdomyosarcoma is the most common soft tissue carcinoma in childhood, representing 5-8% of all malignancies in children.
[NCOA1_HUMAN] Nuclear receptor coactivator that directly binds nuclear receptors and stimulates the transcriptional activities in a hormone-dependent fashion. Involved in the coactivation of different nuclear receptors, such as for steroids (PGR, GR and ER), retinoids (RXRs), thyroid hormone (TRs) and prostanoids (PPARs). Also involved in coactivation mediated by STAT3, STAT5A, STAT5B and STAT6 transcription factors. Displays histone acetyltransferase activity toward H3 and H4; the relevance of such activity remains however unclear. Plays a central role in creating multisubunit coactivator complexes that act via remodeling of chromatin, and possibly acts by participating in both chromatin remodeling and recruitment of general transcription factors. Required with NCOA2 to control energy balance between white and brown adipose tissues. Required for mediating steroid hormone response. Isoform 2 has a higher thyroid hormone-dependent transactivation activity than isoform 1 and isoform 3.
About this Structure
- Ciesielski F, Rochel N, Moras D. Adaptability of the Vitamin D nuclear receptor to the synthetic ligand Gemini: remodelling the LBP with one side chain rotation. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007 Mar;103(3-5):235-42. Epub 2007 Jan 10. PMID:17218092 doi:10.1016/j.jsbmb.2006.12.003
- ↑ Kalkhoven E, Valentine JE, Heery DM, Parker MG. Isoforms of steroid receptor co-activator 1 differ in their ability to potentiate transcription by the oestrogen receptor. EMBO J. 1998 Jan 2;17(1):232-43. PMID:9427757 doi:10.1093/emboj/17.1.232
- ↑ Onate SA, Tsai SY, Tsai MJ, O'Malley BW. Sequence and characterization of a coactivator for the steroid hormone receptor superfamily. Science. 1995 Nov 24;270(5240):1354-7. PMID:7481822
- ↑ Hayashi Y, Ohmori S, Ito T, Seo H. A splicing variant of Steroid Receptor Coactivator-1 (SRC-1E): the major isoform of SRC-1 to mediate thyroid hormone action. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997 Jul 9;236(1):83-7. PMID:9223431 doi:10.1006/bbrc.1997.6911
- ↑ Spencer TE, Jenster G, Burcin MM, Allis CD, Zhou J, Mizzen CA, McKenna NJ, Onate SA, Tsai SY, Tsai MJ, O'Malley BW. Steroid receptor coactivator-1 is a histone acetyltransferase. Nature. 1997 Sep 11;389(6647):194-8. PMID:9296499 doi:10.1038/38304
- ↑ Jenster G, Spencer TE, Burcin MM, Tsai SY, Tsai MJ, O'Malley BW. Steroid receptor induction of gene transcription: a two-step model. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 Jul 22;94(15):7879-84. PMID:9223281
- ↑ Liu Z, Wong J, Tsai SY, Tsai MJ, O'Malley BW. Steroid receptor coactivator-1 (SRC-1) enhances ligand-dependent and receptor-dependent cell-free transcription of chromatin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999 Aug 17;96(17):9485-90. PMID:10449719
- ↑ Litterst CM, Kliem S, Marilley D, Pfitzner E. NCoA-1/SRC-1 is an essential coactivator of STAT5 that binds to the FDL motif in the alpha-helical region of the STAT5 transactivation domain. J Biol Chem. 2003 Nov 14;278(46):45340-51. Epub 2003 Sep 3. PMID:12954634 doi:10.1074/jbc.M303644200